The Advanced Centre on Sustainable Socio-economic Development (ACeSSED) is established to strengthen UCTS’ research activities as well as to support the Sarawak Rural Transformation Programme, for the implementation of people-centric Rural Transformation Programme (RTP). Rural development or Rural Transformation Programme (RTP) and projects remain an important agenda in Sarawak. The central region of Sarawak, where Sibu is located, is the gateway to the rural areas of Sarawak. The central region if compared to other divisions in Sarawak is considered the most underdeveloped. Rural development in Sarawak can accelerate with contribution from university, private and companies. Here in UCTS, we are strategically located and had been engaged by international institutions such as Cornell University, TTC Japan; the private sectors such as Sarawak Energy, Datasonic Berhad, Sacofa Sdn. Bhd. and lastly from the government agencies such as Department of Agriculture to pursue research, development and consultation in the areas such as broadband over power line in longhouses, renewable energy, service learning for the rural communities, ICT literacy, marketing and product packaging for the farmers and Internet of Things (IoT) for e-agriculture, e-aquaculture, e-health, e-environment and e-education.
- To promote a holistic, people-centred and community-based approach to rural development and not just technology-focus
- To undertake R&D activities to gather insights on rural development processes and schemes by ensuring different contexts and different communities
- To provide advisory, consultancy and training services, policy formulation, strategic planning expertise and human capital requirements to facilitate research development for the relevant private sectors and government agencies with regards to communication and internet connectivity, renewable energy, service learning for the rural communities, ICT literacy, marketing and product packaging for the farmers and Internet of Things (IoT) for e-agriculture, e-aquaculture, e-health, e-environment and e-education implementation in rural areas in Sarawak
- To become an internationally recognised centre involved in Science and Technology for rural development by promoting and facilitating local and international collaboration between researchers, practitioners, target communities, as well as policy makers who are involved with rural development programmes
- To become a resource hub for reference and exchange of knowledge in research and development of rural development programmes
• Cornell University under College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Dept of Natural Resources (New York, USA)